Select Page

February 10, 1942 – On this day exactly 60 years ago the very first Lewis Drug store opened! The first location was located at 309 S. Phillips Ave. where @chpatisserie is currently located, right next door to @minervas_dtsf !

One of the first local businesses offering over the counter aspirin and other safe pharmaceuticals, Lewis Drug store has endeared itself to the Sioux Falls community for over half a century!
Jessie Lewis started the business with his partner George Fredrickson, but sold out just two years later to his general manager John Griffin.

Griffin and Frederickson decided to keep the name Lewis Drug. Griffin would continue to run the store until 1984 when his son Mark took over.

Lewis Drug has opened locations all throughout the city, giving back to local neighborhoods and the overall Sioux Falls community. They have surely come a long way from the downtown store front they started right at the beginning of World War II!