Select Page

February 28th, 1890 – On This Day in Sioux Falls History, one of the oldest structures in town, the Edmison-Jameson building, burned down.  This downtown building housed multiple small businesses and upper story residences.  It was a fire in a first floor photo studio that would eventually spread throughout the building that would bring an end to this grand edifice.

The residents, asleep in their apartments, were able to escape into the below zero weather, leaving no deaths to report.  However, the volunteer fire crew was unable to contain the flames, leaving the building to burn until all was destroyed.

Perhaps it is all for the best, the new structure was designed by the great local architect Wallace Dow as a part of the new Syndicate Block business project!

Perhaps its true that there is always a silver lining to be found!